As simple as 1, 2 and 3, this dish nevertheless packs an antioxidant punch from broccoli and olive oil, along with the anti-inflammatory potential of fresh, chopped garlic.
Servings: 4 , 1 cup each
5 cups, broccoli florets chopped into slightly larger than bite sized pieces ( approximately 1.5 ” wide and 1.5″ long; see figure 1 for this recipe)
3 large cloves fresh garlic, peeled and finely chopped, about 1 heaping tbsp
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes ( or per taste)
1 .5 tbsp olive or peanut oil
Salt to taste
- Wash broccoli. Drain and steam in a vegetable steamer for about 8-10 minutes or just until crisp tender. ( The color should turn a bright green, not a dull green, as that might indicate it is overcooked)
- Heat a skillet to low medium and add a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and saute until garlic turns a pale golden brown.
- Regulate heat to ensure that garlic does not burn.
- Add steamed broccoli and salt to the pan with garlic and toss gently until broccoli is well coated with garlic and red pepper flakes, about 2-3 minutes.
- Serve hot.