Spring has sprung!! Nothing spells spring like a fresh, crisp salad eaten al fresco. This salad bursts with nutrients and flavor all at once! Omega-3 fatty acids from walnuts and tons of antioxidants from spinach, beets, radishes and strawberries. The mildly sweet and tart strawberry mint dressing is just the right touch to finish it off!
Makes approximately 8-9, 1 cup servings
For the salad:
- 5 oz organic baby spinach
- 3 beets, peeled and sliced thin
- 3 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 medium avocado, sliced into bite sized pieces
- 2-3 large strawberries, leaves removed, sliced.
- 1/2 cup walnuts + 1 tbsp for garnish
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese + 1 tbsp. for garnish
- For the dressing: Makes 1 cup of salad dressing
- 6 large, very ripe strawberries, leaves removed, coarsely chopped
- 7 mint leaves
- 1 tsp lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- pinch of salt ( 1/4 tsp or to taste )
- Puree strawberries along with mint leaves, olive oil, lime juice, salt and sugar to a smooth sauce.
- Adjust seasonings as required.
- Chill in refrigerator.
- Meanwhile combine spinach, radishes, beets, walnuts, strawberries, avocados, and feta cheese in a salad bowl.
- Add chilled, prepared strawberry mint dressing.
- Garnish with remaining walnuts and feta cheese.
- Serve immediately.
RD tip: Consider adding grilled chicken or drained and rinsed pinto beans, about 1/2 cup to individual servings to make salad more filling and substantial. Beans add tons of fiber, protein, as well as healthy carbs, potassium, magnesium and B vitamins. Serve with ½ of a high fiber pita pocket to complete this meal.