Beat the heat during the dog days of summer with this simple, refreshing and guilt free dessert. Watermelon, cantaloupe and honey-dew melon are steeped in a mint flavored lemonade sweetened with all natural honey.
Servings: Makes 4, 1 cup servings
2 cups watermelon balls ( use a melon baller to scoop out the balls)
1 cup honey-dew melon balls
1 cup cantaloupe balls
Juice of 1/3 of a fresh lemon
10-11 fresh mint leaves
8- 9 oz of water
1 tbsp honey
- In the jar of an electric blender, blend mint leaves, freshly squeezed lemon juice and water on high speed.
- Strain liquid using a tea strainer.
- Add honey to the strained liquid, stir thoroughly and set aside.
- Divide melon balls and mint flavored lemonade equally among 4 small bowls or dessert glasses.
- Allow melons to chill for several hours (2-4), steeped in the lemonade.
- Serve chilled, garnished with mint.
Chef’s tip: Melons have to be very ripe but somewhat firm, so that they can be easily scooped to produce smooth, well-rounded balls. Any variety of melon may be used.
RD tip: Melons have a high water content. Thus, in addition to pleasing the palate, these juicy, luscious fruits can stave off dehydration making them the perfect dessert ( or snack) on sultry, summer days . Cantaloupes and watermelons are rich in both Vitamin A as well as Vitamin C. Cantaloupes and honey-dew melons are also excellent sources of potassium.
Diabetic exchanges: 1 carbohydrate serving, 0 protein and 0 fat servings.
Recipe adapted from Diabetic living, Summer 2015 edition. Diabeticliving.com